The current COVID-19 pandemic has caused an increase in mental…
The Pandemic called the Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
The Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a virus known as the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS COV-2). It was first identified as the cause of the outbreak in Wuhan, China in December 2019.
According to the WHO, older people and those with underlying medical problems like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, and cancer are more likely to develop serious illness.
According to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) as at 30, March 2020, Nigeria has a confirmed case of 131 people.
The Symptoms of Coronavirus?
Coronavirus disease affects people in different ways, those infected with the virus may be asymptomatic or develop flu-like symptoms.
Some of the symptoms of COVID 19 include;
- Shortness of breath
- Aches and pains
- Nausea or vomiting
- Nasal congestion
- Sore throat
Prevention of Coronavirus diseases
There is currently no vaccine to prevent the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19). However, to prevent infection and to reduce spread of COVID-19, do the following:
- Wash your hands with soap and water often for about 30 seconds especially after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing, after visiting a public space, including public transportation, markets and places of worship, after touching surfaces outside of the home, including money, before, during and after caring for a sick person and before and after eating. In the absence of water and soap, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Cover your nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing with your elbow or tissue and dispose of used tissue in a trash bin
- Stay away from raw or undercooked food and meat
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with your hands.
- Maintain at least 1-meter distance between you and people coughing or sneezing
- Refrain from smoking and other activities that weaken the lungs
- Avoid unnecessary travel and stay away from large groups of people
- Avoid contact with people if you have traveled recently to a country with COVID-19 outbreak
- Clean surfaces that might have come in touch with the virus and generally clean surfaces more frequently (especially in public spaces)
Treatment of Coronavirus
There is no specific medicine to prevent or treat the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19). However, if you have mild symptoms, stay at home in isolation and contact the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).